ST. ANDREWS CLUBS, Scotland, Golf Courses
New St. Andrews Golf Club
Royal and Ancient Golf Club
The Old Course
The New Course
The links land to the north of the town was used originally for grazing animals, but the game of golf had been established here by the 16th century. As the spiritual home of golf, it has developed into the most famous golfing turf in the world
The land was given to the people of the town be a Scottish King in 1123, and is still
the ptoperty of the people of St Andrews today. This means the courses are municipal
and anyone can play - as long as you can win a tee time in the ballot and have a handicap
certificate for the Old Course
The first real club was set up in 1754- the Society of St Andrews Golfers, the forerunner of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club. King William IV became the Society's patron in 1834 and gave them their title of Royal and Ancient . The clubhouse was built in the 1850's, built overlooking the 1st and 18th holes of the Old Course
St Andrews Eden Course
The Eden Course, named after the Eden Estuary which lies at the North West of the course, was opened in 1914. It was designed by Mr H.S.Colt who also designed Sunningdale.
The course is home to one of Scotland's oldest amateur tournaments, the Eden Trophy.
St Andrews Jubilee Course
Opened in 1897 as a 12 hole course, and extended to 18 holes in 1905, it was further improved in 1938
Futher remodelling in 1989 resulted in the Jubilee Course becoming as testing as its more famous neighbours.
St Andrews New Course
Opened in 1895, the New Course is no longer new! The R&A that provided the New Course, and Tom Morris supervised the layout. The course was laid out rather than constructed, Tom Morris doing little more than applying the land to the game of golf. The course is divided into three parts: the first three and last three holes share fairways.
St Andrews Duke's Course
2 miles inland from St. Andrews on land surrounding Craigtoun Park. In it's elevated parkland setting with splendid views, this classic Scottish inland course provides a great contrast to the links of St. Andrews. The fairways are characterised by many small undulations and groups of small bunkers.
Opened in 1005, designed by former Open Champion Peter Thompson. Many regard it as the most enjoyable of St.Andrews courses, and definitely worth a visit.
St Andrews Strathtyrum
Created as a less testing layout, the Strathtyrum provides a balance to the championship standard courses at St. Andrews Links.
|Scotland Calling Scotland Calling Front Page||
|Good hotels in Scotland Good Hotels in Scotland||