Sequence of Events at a Burns Supper on 25th January
1. Chairman's speech to welcome company, normally a few short sentences.
2. Then the Grace follows. Traditionally, Burns's Selkirk Grace is used:
Some hae meat and canna eat,
4. Chairman rises and invites company to rise to welcome haggis being piped in.
5. Once haggis is placed on table, chef and piper have drink then leave.
6. Address to haggis now given and company stand to toast haggis and it is cut open. Haggis is eaten with "tatties and neeps"
8. Coffee served and Chairman announces an interval (usually 10 to 15 minutes), when company can relax before speeches etc.
9. Immortal Memory by speaker (average time 25 minutes approx).
10. Toast to the Lassies speech (no longer than 10 minutes).
11. Response to the toast (10 minutes).
12. Then usually an Appreciation of the Immortal Memory is given, (10 minutes). Some other toasts or speeches may now be given, depending on Chairman.
13. Now entertainment begins (songs and poems etc), after which the Chairman calls on company to sing "Auld Lang Syne".
|Scotland Calling Scotland Calling Front Page||
|Good hotels in Scotland Good Hotels in Scotland||